process of getting to know a potential lover in a formal artificial setting. Culture defines series of steps in which certain topics and activities are divided into series. Ex. Americans have divided the sex act into bases. These can change for the most part kissing is first base, intercourse fourth base.
A beginners guide to dinner date manners
1. Open doors for your date without making any grand gestures — this is just what you do.
2. Compliment your date. It could be their shoes or a simple, “you look lovely”.
3. Be waiting for her when she arrives, so she’s not standing around on the street or in a bar looking expectant.
4. Dress well. A collared shirt and good chinos or jeans and shoes (not thongs) if you are going out, as a minimum.
5. Offer to pay. Better yet, excuse yourself before the end of the evening to pay the bill out of sight. It’s a stylish touch.
6. Ensure your date gets home safely by seeing her into a cab and asking her to let you know when she is home.
7. An intoxicated date is an unattractive and unhelpful date.
8. Phones off. The highest compliment you can give a person is your undivided attention.
Other date and dinner faux pas:
- Never lick your knife, no matter how good the gravy.
- Don’t try to impress the waiter. They are there to help — ask their opinion if you’re not sure.
- Don’t play with your hair, nails, face or phone at the table. Keep the tabletop clear.
- Pause during the meal, and it’s not a race. You should put your cutlery down every three mouthfuls.
When it comes to eating your meal, doing so in a polite way can sometimes be difficult, especially when burgers, pizza, spaghetti, leafy salads, spicy food and nachos are on the menu.